Friday, May 04, 2007

End of the Road

Well, here I am at 30 something thousand feet heading back to the culture I was born and raised in. So how do I summarize four months on the road in South America? Some people have asked me: What was your favorite country or town or region? What was the worst? It's kind of like saying: Which is better, Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon, or Yosemite? Each is simply different.

Some things stand out though and are worth mentioning. I enjoyed being able to walk down the street in Uruguay or Argentina and pass for a local. In all other countries, I stood out as a gringo a mile away. Given a choice, it's nice to blend in. I have wonderful wonderful memories of the extradordinary people I met along the way who took me into their homes and their hearts. I cherish the e-mail contact I still have with them.

More superficially, I ernjoy the fact I that have a "feel" for a number countries that I didn't have before. I enjoy picking up a Spanish language newspaper and reading it without having to look up TOO many words. It's nice to know I could be dropped down in a dozen cities in the southern hemisphere and know my way around. It's nice to have a minimal acquaintance with the major political, economic, and social issues facing a number of other countries. It's nice to have a feel for the good points and bad points of a number of countries.

I went to South America knowing relatively little about pre-columbian culture, history and art. I became fascinated by it and have enjoyed learning about it.

I am grateful for the fact that the American dollar goes as far as it does in Latin America and makes it possible for a person like me to travel there for about the same cost if I had stayed home. This discrepancy in currency value is unjust, unfair, etc., but it simply exists. I'm glad I could take advantage of it.

I return appreciative of a number of things American: 1. the American attitude that anything can be made to work, as opposed to resignation in the face of some unchangeabe system (the "can-do" spirit). 2. that computers, etc., are tools which help us get things done, not stand in the way of getting things done. 3. That people by and large respect themselves and therefore respect their neighbor and the environment.

There are a number of Latin American things I will miss: 1. the way the streets come alive after dark and everyone turns out to see and be seen. 2. Mid-day meals that last forever and are wonderful opportunities for extended social interaction. 3. Cheap bus rides to EVERYWHERE. 4. The warmth and curiosity with which so many people accepted a wandering gringo.

For those of you who have followed along, thanks for the company! I hope you were occasionally entertained. Where to next? Maybe Patagonia in Jan. 2008!!

Best wishes to all,
Garrett
Que le vaya bien!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home