Saturday, January 05, 2008

Tookah what?

Greetings from Tuxtla Gutierrez! T.G. is the capital of the Mexican state of Chiapas. I flew here today from Guadalajara. S. & K. drove me to the airport in Guad. By the way, S & K, I can´t thank you enough for your incredible hospitality!!We zipped right through relatively light traffic. They dropped me off at the domestic terminal where I also zipped right through the token baggage/security check. Then I had to sit on the ugly hard airport seats waiting for my plane.
It was a large waiting room with 4 doors leading out to the tarmac. Above each door was an electronic sign with the name of the city; e.g., Monterrey. When the sign turned on the name of the city, they announced it and people headed for the gate. I waited and waited for Tuxtla Gutierrez. No sign. No announcement. The majority of the flights were a little late, so I figured that was normal. There were several hundred people in this large hall. There were only two other gringos in the whole room, a couple, that I could tell.
I tried listening as closely as I could to the frequent announcements that were practically incomprehensible to me through the loudspeaker system. Finally, about 5 minutes after the plane was supposed to take off, I heard them announce a bunch of names. I thought I heard among them "Senor Garrett." Could that be? or was I just imagining those words? It wouldn´t have made any difference whether they made the announcement in Spanish or in typically fractured English, I wouldn´t have understood it thru the terrible P.A. system. Finally, I went up to one of the doors where people were boarding a completely different flight and asked the gate attendant what was happening to the flight to Tuxtla.¨"Oh, yes," she said, "That´s your plane way out there on the tarmac. You must hurry to get it." (!) Sure enough, I was one of just a handful of people that weere boarding, so they didn´t bother to even call the flight or to post it on one of the electronic signs. They just called the names of the passengers. It seems the flight originated in Juarez, across the border from El Paso, Texas. The plane makes a stop in Guadalajara enroute to southern Mexico. The plane was already pretty full with people from Juarez.
Mexicanos have learned when leaving Mexico to visit relatives in the states, you fly to Juarez or Tijuana on one of the cheap domestic Mexican airlies, take the shuttle bus to the airport in El Paso or San Diego, and continue traveling on Southwest. Just like Southwest, I settled back and enjoyed peanuts with my Diet Coke. I forgot the lesson I thought I had learned in the Buenos Aires bus station. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ask people again and again and again again, where is the gate, when is the flight, etc. The signs are there just for looks. Tomorrow San Cristobal!

1 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! sounds like some beautiful sights! feel free to buy a disposable camera and mail it to me when it's full! I'll get them exposed and post them here!

safe travels!

-Jeff

 

Post a Comment

<< Home